July 22, 2017, 08:46:56 AM

Author Topic: ELITE: DAY 1 Feedback  (Read 489 times)

T

• SHOOT Project Soldiers
    • View Profile
ELITE: DAY 1 Feedback
« on: October 13, 2013, 10:11:26 PM »
The SHOOT Project brings you the very best in professional wrestling. We've had a day of RECKONING. We've crowned a MASTER OF THE MAT. Now, we show the world that SHOOT Project is not just the best. We. Are...

Let us know, folks!

Former Sin City Champion (1x)
3/24/2013-9/2/2013

T

• SHOOT Project Soldiers
    • View Profile
Re: ELITE: DAY 1 Feedback
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2013, 05:58:11 PM »
FEEDBACK CENTRAL: ELITE: DAY 1 EDITION!

Opening Video/Opening Blurb

So, I had a slight (and I mean very slight) hand in this. Scotty wrote it and it came out really, really good in my opinion. It was really fun and interesting to brainstorm with him and see how he and B come up with the ideas for these. With that said, I thought the war-torn Vegas was an awesome image and the song is absolutely perfect for ELITE. The imagery was really well done and I think Scotty was able to capture everything going on in the video leading up to ELITE. Really well done, as always.

I wrote the opening blurb and I hope you enjoyed it. It's a bit longer than usual, but I think it does its job.

ANARCHY vs. Project: SCAR - World Tag Team Championships

I wrote this match and I hope Scotty, Drew, and B enjoyed it. Except Drew. Because it gave me great pleasure (wood) to ignore a Drew strat again!

Kidding aside, I wanted to take that old school tag team approach and make the heels look really strong here. Recently with these matches between ANARCHY and SCAR, ANARCHY has been the dominant force or the matches were really even. Here I wanted a different dynamic and I think I got that by having the heels dominate for most of the match. Hope it was enjoyable.

Backstage With Jacob Mephisto

Again, I wrote this. Normally, pay-per-views shouldn't have many segments, but I felt with the magnitude of the Primus, it would be cool to get some final hyping done in the form of short backstage interviews throughout Day 1 and Day 2. This was short and sweet and I think I accomplished what I wanted to. Hope you all enjoyed it.

Triple Threat Match - Jerry Matthews vs. Rellik vs. Brock Steele - Number One Iron Fist Contenders Match

It’s a shame that the two new guys didn’t show. Throughout the cycle, they appeared eager to get started, but I guess something came up, or whatever. Matthews has been getting progressively better over the weeks and it is cool to see him as the number one contender for the IF title. I’m looking forward to Matthews/Napalm.

The match was obviously a squash, but Will did a great job taking it and making it entertaining. I loved “The Pulpit.” Anyway, congrats to Matthews on being the number one IF contender.

Mystery Code Promo Video

I thought this was a nice little promo video. Nothing super fancy. Because I put the shows together, I know who it is. But, I’m not telling. So… neener, neener.

Backstage With TMB and L-A-Z

Interesting little segment with Laz and TMB here. Anyone who knows the history between these two should be intrigued. I know I was. Good to see TMB poking at Laz and Laz responding in typical fashion. It’ll be interesting to see where this goes since last time these two mixed it up, TMB was the face and Laz was the heel. Nice segment to keep the show moving along guys.

Dave Marz vs. Thomas Manchester Black – Rule of Surrender Championship

Greg did an awesome job with this. He might tell you that I had a big part in writing this match, but really, my part was pretty small. Greg wrote the vast majority of it along with the finish. I just helped fill in a few gaps. So, props for this match still go to G-Money.

The match itself was very gritty, which is what I think it should’ve been. These guys going toe to toe is what this match needed to be and having them consistently going back and forth worked. Greg mentioned to me that there weren’t very many submission attempts, but I think, even though this was a RoS match, that was a good thing. This was personal on a certain level. In my mind, neither one of these guys would want to go for a submission early because they had a point to prove. And I think that was captured nicely. Even the ending sequence worked nicely because the submission was applied really as almost a desperation move when Marz countered TMB.

Well done match. And congrats to Jason for being the new RoS Champ!

Backstage With Laura Seton

Dube did a great job continuing to hype the Primus here. With that said, we ALL did, I think. Laura comes off looking incredibly focused here and she brings up points that really can’t be denied. Even if she’s still a cunt. Great heel hype.

Corey Lazarus vs. Liz Gaunt

Even though it was late, I’m glad Jer decided to drop an RP for Gaunt. It made me feel like this match mattered.

And it did. Kudos for Scotty. He managed to take what could have easily been a squash and make it into a short, but competitive match. There’s not much else to say about it.

However, the REAL story here is the post-match. I feel like Laz has had the worst luck lately. People are seriously looking to hurt the guy. But it’s interesting because it’s almost like Laz is paying a penance for being a douche for so long. And I am excited to see the possible continuation of TMB/Laz. Seriously, if you didn’t see the last feud these two had? Go read it. Good shit guys.

Backstage With Mason Pierce

Even though this was VERY short, it was to the point and it worked. I think it really fit the attitude the Mason Pierce character had going into the event. Short, but nice piece to continue Primus hype-age.

Backstage With Loco Martinez

First and foremost, I’ve got to say, “whoops.” I mixed up Loco and Crippler’s backstage promos. Loco was supposed to be on Day 2 and Crip on Day 1. But, I went in and changed the appropriate “tonight’s” into “tomorrow night’s” and vice versa.

With that said, Scotty did a great job promoting the Primus for the face side. I loved the use of Mark Kendrick and the Joe Paterno quotes. Great job, Scottimus.

Adrian Corazon vs. Isaac Entragian – Iron Fist Match

Jer always manages to deliver on Main Events, even when they’re late. The story told in this one was fantastic. It was a brutal beating taken by Corazon and really highlights Isaac’s return. The ending also is starting to show cracks within SCAR. Seems like Isaac’s disappearance weakened them a bit, but we’ll see how things go.

BUT, I have a small criticism for once for Jer. As awesome of a story this match told, I feel like it was too one-sided. I get that it was the return of Entragian, and maybe this was designed to be this way. But, the almost complete one-sided asskicking in this match left it wanting a bit more. This was Adrian Corazon. The very man that sent Isaac into isolation. And with it being an Iron Fist match, which is a division where BOTH of these guys have had iconic matches, I feel like this was a bit of a missed opportunity to really have something special.

Again, it was REALLY well written and told a great story, but I think it could have been more. This felt a bit too much like a squash to me. And I think with the way this feud has gone, this should have been a bit more than it was.

Then again, I could be looking at it from a completely different perspective than the guys involved, as I don’t know what’s next anyway.

Overall, great story, but a little lacking in actual match quality for me. Sorry.

Final Comments

No-Shows for no apparent reason suck balls. But, I think Day 1 was still a success overall. It was a great first half of the PPV and everyone did a fantastic job selling the matches the way they were written. From a story perspective, this was one hell of a strong card. From an actual match perspective, it wasn’t the greatest, but it still beats the hell out of a lot of what is out there. Great job SHOOT.

P.S. Take my comments with a grain of salt. Note that these are only my opinions at this time. They may change as I read the cards multiple times.

Former Sin City Champion (1x)
3/24/2013-9/2/2013

xiv

• B once fired a guy for me.
    • View Profile
Re: ELITE: DAY 1 Feedback
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2013, 03:02:13 PM »
apologies for the lateness of this post. 

Thanks for the help with some ideas on the hype video to Timmah. 

I enjoyed the tag title match.  Good pacing and an enjoyable tag team contest and solid PPV opener. 

Really enjoyed the Primus hype sprinkled through out. 

Triple threat.  two no shows takes a little shine off this. 

I am totally trying to figure out the code.  I think Jericho is coming to save SHOOT!!!

Enjoyed the RoS match.  Enjoyable.  Loved the Hunger Games reference. 

I wrote Laz/Gaunt hope it was decent.  Enjoyed the after match.  Wasn't long, but was impactful and sets up some stuff!

That main event was brutally violent.  I tend to agree it felt one sided, but the story was really well done, and Ike really comes off as a monster and reestablishes that "don't mess with this/these guys" when it comes to Entragian and SCAR.  Loved the post match stuff with the bloody hammer and Flay/Kenji.   I am intrigued to see where things go from here.

Solid Day 1.  Good matches and segments, while a bunch of them (more than we're used to for a PPV) were short and didn't get in the way of the action.   Good stuff!