June 27, 2017, 09:46:02 AM

Author Topic: AMA - Matt version  (Read 2627 times)

Matt

• X-REGISTERED
    • View Profile
AMA - Matt version
« on: June 24, 2014, 10:50:45 AM »
This world is really about community.  Given that many of you don't know me at all, and the rest of you haven't heard from me in a decade, I thought I'd open things up for a Q&A.  If there's any interest, I'll try to pop in frequently over the first few days to answer anything that comes up.

Omar Owens

• w/ Freak Nasty 1
  • X-REGISTERED
  • A Breath of Fresh Air
    • View Profile
Re: AMA - Matt version
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2014, 12:32:21 PM »
First question.  Who are you?

---------------------------------------------------------------

Matt

• X-REGISTERED
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2014, 12:43:48 PM »
My name is Matt, and I grew up and live in British Columbia, Canada.  I'm a big fan of most sports and craft beer.  In fact, I write a cleverly-named blog about them: http://mattlikesbeerandsports.wordpress.com/.

In the context of e-wrestling, I'm the handler of Kale Tanev, a quasi-homeless guy who is currently SHOOT's RoS champ. 

10-15 years ago (from say 1998-2004 area), I was also the handler of a character named Dave Hawkins, who previously competed in SHOOT. I believe the Hawkins/OutKast match (my final RP until this year) was in Summer 2004.  I was also the guy who ran the CEWF, a long defunct e-fed which a number of current SHOOT guys and other familiar names previously competed in. 

Trevor Worrens

• X-REGISTERED
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2014, 12:57:37 PM »
(maybe it's in your blog but I haven't checked it out yet but...)

What is your personal Top 5 when it comes to craft beers?

Entragian

• Project: SCAR
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2014, 02:03:44 PM »
How would you compare current SHOOT to how it was back when you handled Hawkins?

Which characters/stories are really catching you attention this time around?

Matt

• X-REGISTERED
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2014, 02:17:25 PM »

That's a tricky one because of the different ways beer is distributed.  I'll do a Top 5 for Canada and a Top 5 for the US (both in no particular order), as I'm guessing the majority of the folks here are American.

Canadian
Lighthouse Race Rocks Ale (Victoria)
Driftwood Lustrum Black Currant Sour (Victoria)
Dieu du Ciel "Peche Mortal" Imperial Stout (Quebec)
Four Winds "Saison Brett" (Metro Vancouver, BC)
Driftwood "Singularity" imperial stout (Victoria)

American
Russian River Pliny the Elder, double IPA (California)
Russian River Consecration, sour (California)
Cherry Adam from the Wood, "old world" ale" (Oregon)
Boneyard RPM IPA (Oregon)
Firestone Walker Double Jack, double IPA (California)

I'm probably missing some things, as this has been top of mind.  I've gotten into "cellaring beer" (same premise as aging wine, but for higher alcohol beers), and you can find my current stock here: http://www.cellarhq.com/cellar/Matt_MacInnis.  There's other stuff in the house that's not appropriate for aging, but that's an overview of what I'm hoping will get better with time.

Matt

• X-REGISTERED
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2014, 02:26:41 PM »
How would you compare current SHOOT to how it was back when you handled Hawkins?

Which characters/stories are really catching you attention this time around?

Well it was a long time ago, so it's tough to get into details.  Today, SHOOT has certainly modernized and become more interactive/collaborative compared to my previous tenure here.  It has also grown up (and I don't mean that with any negative connotations).  Over time the guys have clearly found a good pace and cadence for the organization and have recognized the importance of adapting timelines to suit real life.  You need deadlines, but they can be malleable when needed - as one example.

It's interesting coming back with a new character, and as a handler that most people either don't know, or may have only heard referenced occasionally from the old guard when reminiscing about the CEWF or some long-forgotten feud.  On the competitive side of things, reputation matters, and it's been interesting coming into everything brand new and trying to sort out who the most widely read roleplayers are, and who my personal favourites are (and whether or not those overlap).

I don't know enough of the back stories of a lot of the characters to give an educated opinion of what most interests me from a big picture perspective. I've read pretty much everything that's come out since returning, and there's extremely few pieces that I haven't thought are really well done. I think as a whole, the community has a strong pool of writing talent. But for one-offs in the short-term, I've really enjoyed Kincaid's stuff, El Wipo Asso is hilarious, I think Zex has a really unique way of painting a scene, and after even the better part of a decade, I'm always going to be curious what B is up to. 

Matt

• X-REGISTERED
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2014, 02:50:54 PM »

That's a tricky one because of the different ways beer is distributed.  I'll do a Top 5 for Canada and a Top 5 for the US (both in no particular order), as I'm guessing the majority of the folks here are American.

Canadian
Lighthouse Race Rocks Ale (Victoria)
Driftwood Lustrum Black Currant Sour (Victoria)
Dieu du Ciel "Peche Mortal" Imperial Stout (Quebec)
Four Winds "Saison Brett" (Metro Vancouver, BC)
Driftwood "Singularity" imperial stout (Victoria)

American
Russian River Pliny the Elder, double IPA (California)
Russian River Consecration, sour (California)
Cherry Adam from the Wood, "old world" ale" (Oregon)
Boneyard RPM IPA (Oregon)
Firestone Walker Double Jack, double IPA (California)

I'm probably missing some things, as this has been top of mind.  I've gotten into "cellaring beer" (same premise as aging wine, but for higher alcohol beers), and you can find my current stock here: http://www.cellarhq.com/cellar/Matt_MacInnis.  There's other stuff in the house that's not appropriate for aging, but that's an overview of what I'm hoping will get better with time.

I realize I'm quoting my own response, but I couldn't stop thinking about this.

Both lists are a mix of beers that are available year-round and come in various packaging (six packs, 650 mL bombers, or smaller specialty-bottles).  If you were going to tell me I could only have one six pack of regularly-available beer before I died, the list would go something like: Lighthouse Race Rocks, Parallel 49 Old Boy, Four Winds IPA, Steamwhistle Pilsner and probably Firestone Walker Double Jack (four pack, but whatever).

G

• G Money Nicholson Jr.
  • SHOOT Project Soldiers
  • I don't hate Tim on Tuesdays or Thursdays
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2014, 05:50:14 PM »
What made you want to return to SHOOT Project?

Support SHOOT Project by visiting our eWtorch database posting here:

"Will your buddy let you fuck a midget in his bed? If the answer is yes, then you know that dude is solid."
"Death is nothing, but to live defeated and inglorious is to die daily."

Napoleon Bonaparte

G

• G Money Nicholson Jr.
  • SHOOT Project Soldiers
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2014, 05:51:06 PM »
What happened to cause your departure from, I believe, OPW.  If you want to discuss, of course.

"Will your buddy let you fuck a midget in his bed? If the answer is yes, then you know that dude is solid."

Napoleon Bonaparte

G

• G Money Nicholson Jr.
  • SHOOT Project Soldiers
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2014, 05:51:50 PM »
Favorite pastime?

Napoleon Bonaparte

Matt

• X-REGISTERED
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2014, 09:47:49 AM »
What made you want to return to SHOOT Project?

It just sort of happened. 

I stopped watching WWE roughly the same time I stopped RPing back in 2004 (give or take a few months).  Didn't think of either really for the better part of the last ten years. A few years ago some buddies and I randomly ordered Mania just as an excuse to get together and drink/BBQ on a Sunday night.  I think Sheamus squashed Daniel Bryan that year (was that a thing?).  Then in 2014, me and the same group got back together for Mania again.

Shortly after that I wondered if any of this still existed, found the Project where it's always been, somehow eventually tracked down the DH/OutKast match, and got to thinking.  After a few days I'd put together a character and story outline, reached out to the bosses to see if they'd be interested in having me....and here we are.

Matt

• X-REGISTERED
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2014, 09:51:08 AM »
What happened to cause your departure from, I believe, OPW.  If you want to discuss, of course.

To be honest, I have no idea. That was a long time ago.

I will say that generally speaking I'm not the type to get caught up in emotions and quit something because I'm grumpy with something that's happened.

I was just a kid for my first run in this game.  Chances are that when I left a given place it was because another part of my life had distracted me. 

But I don't recall any specific item causing me to leave OPW.  Other people with better historian minds may have more context than that...but nothing particularly confrontational or controversial sticks out in my mind.  In fact, I barely remember OPW at all.  I couldn't really tell you much about that time.

Matt

• X-REGISTERED
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2014, 09:53:06 AM »
Favorite pastime?

Playing sports. 

I've been somewhat of an athlete my entire life. I played 3 sports for my high school, I was a university varsity athlete, and I remain pretty active today.  Right now I play on a pretty competitive ball hockey team, two softball teams, soccer, and I'm active at the squash club. 

J

• Supreme Commander
  • The Brass
    • View Profile
    • http://www.shootproject.com/
« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2014, 11:13:52 AM »
How much did you miss me?

Matt

• X-REGISTERED
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 25, 2014, 12:04:03 PM »
How much did you miss me?

Who are you?

Seriously...when I left, I didn't think much about the world for a long, long time.  Years. My final DH/OutKast angle/match/story arc ended things for me. After however many years of RPing/running a fed, I'd reached the point where I felt I'd sort of done my thing.

The timing of it all was important though, too.  When I left I was just entering my final year of university.  I knew I wasn't going to have the time in my 4th year.  And from there it was mostly about finding a job, starting a career, building it....and then all the other life checkmarks that come along with getting older.

But once I had the idea to try and return, for the first little while it was an obsessive concept that I tried to develop.  It came together quickly. I'd say it was less than a week between the first thought that popped into my mind until I was posting my first piece.

J

• Supreme Commander
  • The Brass
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 25, 2014, 12:07:00 PM »
I'm hurt! I've been running this place for 14 years!

Josh/Real Deal/B's BFF/Zavier Alexander's worst nightmare

J

• Supreme Commander
  • The Brass
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 25, 2014, 12:07:51 PM »
Remember the cage, Matt.

Matt

• X-REGISTERED
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 25, 2014, 12:35:23 PM »
I'm hurt! I've been running this place for 14 years!

Josh/Real Deal/B's BFF/Zavier Alexander's worst nightmare

Ha, I was kidding.  Sorry, that didn't convey well across text.

Sadly, I don't keep up with Zavier's handler anymore.  Last I heard he was working at a Canadian Tire in rural New Brunswick. 

J

• Supreme Commander
  • The Brass
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 25, 2014, 12:37:00 PM »
Hahaha, it's all good.  I thought you MIGHT be kidding, but I decided to play the martyr anyway. 

G

• G Money Nicholson Jr.
  • SHOOT Project Soldiers
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 25, 2014, 03:23:25 PM »
Beer league softball?

Napoleon Bonaparte

Matt

• X-REGISTERED
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 25, 2014, 03:38:30 PM »
Beer league softball?

One of the leagues is distinctly beer league calibre. THe other is pretty competitive. Unfortunately, my team's commitment to beer doesn't change much.  Which is fun, but means lots of lopsided losses.

G

• G Money Nicholson Jr.
  • SHOOT Project Soldiers
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 25, 2014, 03:47:53 PM »
What positions do you play across the sports board?

Napoleon Bonaparte

Matt

• X-REGISTERED
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 25, 2014, 04:14:26 PM »
What positions do you play across the sports board?

Baseball/Softball - SS and 2B mostly. I've also played LF/CF when needed for slopitch.
Ball Hockey - Defence
Basketball - SHOOTing Guard
Soccer - Centre Back/Sweeper
Volleyball - Offside hitter/libero

Basically I play all the token short white guy positions in sports. 

I think that covers the major team sports. 

SV

• The Artist
  • SHOOT Project Soldiers
  • I hold a mirror against a mirror against a mirror.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 25, 2014, 04:48:35 PM »
My name is Matt, and I grew up and live in British Columbia, Canada.  I'm a big fan of most sports and craft beer.  In fact, I write a cleverly-named blog about them: http://mattlikesbeerandsports.wordpress.com/.

In the context of e-wrestling, I'm the handler of Kale Tanev, a quasi-homeless guy who is currently SHOOT's RoS champ. 

10-15 years ago (from say 1998-2004 area), I was also the handler of a character named Dave Hawkins, who previously competed in SHOOT. I believe the Hawkins/OutKast match (my final RP until this year) was in Summer 2004.  I was also the guy who ran the CEWF, a long defunct e-fed which a number of current SHOOT guys and other familiar names previously competed in.

All you needed to say. We can be friends now.

Newcomer of the Year 2013.