October 20, 2017, 10:49:38 PM

Author Topic: Michael Bay...  (Read 882 times)

SV

• The Artist
  • SHOOT Project Soldiers
  • I hold a mirror against a mirror against a mirror.
    • View Profile
Michael Bay...
« on: August 01, 2014, 06:23:54 AM »
As some of you know, since the "death" of GrappleCast I have been working on a new Podcast aimed purely at Men. We will be talking all kinds of subjects from Comics, Movies, Wrestling, Music, Books, TV and of course my time as a Pick Up Artist.

However. The first Episode will be recorded, possibly over this weekend and the subject is...

Michael Bay and his place in Pop Culture.

We are going to talk about The Rock, Bad Boys and yes...Transformers...

How Movie age ratings impacts his directing style.

And also the possibility of a Bay Terminator movie  :-\

So, if anyone has any questions or points they would like to make before I sit down and record this thing. Then please drop them here.

Newcomer of the Year 2013.

Omar Owens

• w/ Freak Nasty 1
  • X-REGISTERED
  • A Breath of Fresh Air
    • View Profile
Re: Michael Bay...
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2014, 06:39:17 PM »
Are you lumping Michael Bay and Michael Mann together?  Because they are very, very different.

---------------------------------------------------------------

SV

• The Artist
  • SHOOT Project Soldiers
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2014, 07:18:42 PM »
Nope. I'm just a dope and that should have said "The Rock" and not Heat.

Omar Owens

• w/ Freak Nasty 1
  • X-REGISTERED
  • A Breath of Fresh Air
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2014, 08:42:04 AM »
Nope. I'm just a dope and that should have said "The Rock" and not Heat.

Ah, okay.  The Rock is pretty awesome and Michael Bay's best movie, but it's just a popcorn movie compared to Heat.

DrezzyF2T

• SHOOT Project Soldiers
  • Life. Deal. Rock.
    • View Profile
Michael Bay...
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2014, 08:38:59 AM »
Sir Samuel from the House of Valentine, I humbly request an appearance on a future edition of this venture, preferably one speaking on music. I feel like we could have some fun ripping on various bands that we do/do not enjoy.

*"Behind the Scenes" graphic by Sam Valentine
*Corey Lazarus banner by Ben Duke

DrezzyF2T

• SHOOT Project Soldiers
  • Life. Deal. Rock.
    • View Profile
Michael Bay...
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2014, 01:43:21 PM »
I'm going to offer up a list of points about Bay, some even in support of his work, tonight. Prepare your anus.

DrezzyF2T

• SHOOT Project Soldiers
  • Life. Deal. Rock.
    • View Profile
Michael Bay...
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2014, 10:19:17 AM »
-How Top Gun led to one of the most lucrative careers that never reached that same level of quality

-His role in making Will Smith a bona fide movie star.

-According to some circles, his direction is seen as a film version of jazz music: nonsense to the uninformed but surprisingly technical proficient.

-The alarming levels of both misogyny and homoeroticism in his work.

-ROBOT. BALLS.

-Can he really be called racist for having two jive-talking characters in the second Transformers when Jazz already existed?

-Why Bad Boys II didn't work (length, too much plot/subplot, utterly inconsequential action scenes that are stylish but easily forgotten).

-"They're going to be aliens" backtracking on TMNT

SV

• The Artist
  • SHOOT Project Soldiers
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2014, 12:52:18 PM »
Yeah you hit a few of the points we did when plotting this out haha. We found ourselves going against the common hatred for Bay in a few area's because some of it is simply fanboy hatred ect.

And yes. A music episode would be cool and you are more then welcome to come on and chat.

The recording of this show was put off, fore about ten reasons. My sudden weekend away and my GF having an operation today, so it will more than likely be happening tomorrow night.

Omar Owens

• w/ Freak Nasty 1
  • X-REGISTERED
  • A Breath of Fresh Air
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2014, 07:43:58 AM »
I don't know if this is what you wanted, but I figured, why not a little discussion?  Some of my thoughts on these points:

-How Top Gun led to one of the most lucrative careers that never reached that same level of quality

What is Bay's connection to Top Gun?  Was he heavily influenced by it or something?

-Can he really be called racist for having two jive-talking characters in the second Transformers when Jazz already existed?

Jazz was the first to die.

-Why Bad Boys II didn't work (length, too much plot/subplot, utterly inconsequential action scenes that are stylish but easily forgotten).

The punchline to every joke was "Bitch!"

...and my GF having an operation today

Hope everything's okay.

Matt

• X-REGISTERED
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2014, 09:51:24 AM »

As a Canadian white guy, I often have a difficult time comprehending race issues, but I've never once thought of Bay as racist because of those two characters.

Profoundly stupid? Sure.  Well, definitely stupid.

But I feel like if Michael Bay was racist, he probably wouldn't have directed films with prominent black leads like Smith/Lawrence/Duncan?  Maybe I'm just naive and not sensitive enough to matters.

DrezzyF2T

• SHOOT Project Soldiers
  • Life. Deal. Rock.
    • View Profile
Michael Bay...
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2014, 01:00:54 PM »
O2:
Top Gun was produced by Jerry Bruckheimer, who partnered with Bay in the '90s and is basically responsible for Bay's film career.

Transformers racism:
Far be it from me to come off as an expert on race relations outside the US, but mockery of black citizens and "black culture" (in itself a racist statement, mind you) isn't something we're proud of as a country. It's not unique to us, but I don't think minstrel shows were popular anywhere else but here, so that sense of characterization is a really sore issue in these parts.
(My point, though, was that the original source material did the same thing with one of its characters, so Bay didn't deserve the full amount of criticism for those two side characters, but does deserve some because he created them and chose to use them as prominently as he did.)

Sam's girlfriend:
I hope everything's okay, man.