December 13, 2017, 04:27:59 PM

Author Topic: Let's talk about books.  (Read 10970 times)

J

• Supreme Commander
  • The Brass
    • View Profile
    • http://www.shootproject.com/
Let's talk about books.
« on: July 21, 2011, 10:14:09 PM »
There are a lot of readers here in the SHOOT Project, and we've discussed books in several other threads.

So, I propose we consolidate that and have a catch all thread for reading.

What are you currently reading?

What's on your agenda after that? 

Top 5 favorite books of all time? 

The Gunslingers

• X-REGISTERED
    • View Profile
Re: Let's talk about books.
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2011, 10:14:55 PM »
currently reading the Bret Hart book

J

• Supreme Commander
  • The Brass
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2011, 10:17:52 PM »
I'm currently reading the 2nd Game of Thrones book.  

After that...  will probably be the third one.  If not, then I'll take a stab at Dragon Tattoo again or re-read WWZ.

Top 5 favorite books...  No particular order...  The DaVinci Code, The Strain, Hellen Hollick's King Arthur Trilogy (I count this as one just cuz,) The Fountainhead, annnnnnd LA Confidential (which was kind of a documentary type thing about the LAPD during the time that Biggie Smalls and Tupac were murdered.)  

Honorable mentions go to Ring of Hell, The Profiler, Controversy Creates Cash, alllll the classics, and Miami Babylon.

Entragian

• Project: SCAR
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2011, 10:31:29 PM »
I'm basically a Stephen King fanatic. I've read like literally ALL of his stuff, even his latest stuff.

Recently I've been getting into Chuck Palahniuk. I read Snuff, loved it. Started reading Rant, the first half of the book was great, then it started to bore me towards the middle and I'm having trouble finishing it.

Currently I'm reading Darkly Dreaming Dexter by Jeff Lindsay.

Top five books?

# 1- The Stand (Most of my influence for Entragian came from Randall Flagg)
# 2- Desperation
# 3- IT
# 4- Dark Tower series
# 5- The Game (fun read for guys)

xiv

• B once fired a guy for me.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2011, 11:17:08 PM »
Currently reading WOrld War Z.   The Max Brooks follow up to the Zombie Survival Guide.  Its amazing.

I've had a pretty busy "book year", for me, at least.   Girl with the Dragon Tattoo.  Jericho's 2nd Bio.  Foley's Countdown to Lockdown.  Denis Leary's "Why we suck". 

Next up:  The Girl Who played with fire (2nd part in the Dragon Tattoo series),  or Jim Breuer's bio, or the History of ESPN book... not sure.  leaning towards played with fire.

Favorite 5ish:

The Long Walk  Stephen King under a pen name - still think this should be a movie.
Trainspotting   
Survivor/Fight Club/Choke ... I have a hard time picking between these 3. 
World War Z ... yeah i'm not done and I'm still throwing it in here its that good

Favorites growing up/school
Farenheit 451
Huckleberry Finn
Great Gatsby

Tanya Black

• X-REGISTERED
  • I Steal Happiness
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2011, 11:33:13 PM »
Currently reading The Complete Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, and of course as they come out the manga volumes of Rosario+Vampire Season II, Ultimo, and Toriko as well as my stack of American comics.

My fave five:

1. The first three/four books by Raymond E. Fiest as the "Riftwar Saga". (It's Three in Hardcover. Paperback split the first book Magician into two parts due to it's length as Magician: Apprentice and Magician: Master)

2. Faerie Tale by Raymond E. Fiest.

3. Micheal Crichton's Sphere

4. Chris Jericho's first autobiography (haven't read the second yet)

5. Peter Benchley's White Shark

J

• Supreme Commander
  • The Brass
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2011, 11:42:03 PM »
I HATED Sphere.  I read it when I was 14 I think, and I just couldn't get into it.  Maybe I should try and re-read that to see if I missed something or something.

Tanya Black

• X-REGISTERED
  • I Steal Happiness
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2011, 11:49:52 PM »
Sphere is a very psychological book. It's really about the way different people react to the unknown and to the fears in their heads being brought to the surface. As a pure thriller it does fall kind of flat I admit but I love it because it's about showing how our minds really are our own worst enemies.

The Gunslingers

• X-REGISTERED
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2011, 01:11:43 AM »
Hitchiker's Guide to the galaxy is probably my favorite book, the original Adams series is great stuff. I never got around to reading the sixth book that his wife gave someone else permission to write (the guy who did the artemis fowl books). I might eventually read the 6th book, but there's jsut something odd about reading someone write someone elses iconic characters

J

• Supreme Commander
  • The Brass
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2011, 02:05:18 AM »
Sphere is a very psychological book. It's really about the way different people react to the unknown and to the fears in their heads being brought to the surface. As a pure thriller it does fall kind of flat I admit but I love it because it's about showing how our minds really are our own worst enemies.

Yeah, not really something I gave much of a fuck about when I was 14.  I'll add it to the list of re-reads.

Lucy Blaylock

• SHOOT Project Soldiers
  • Feel LOVELESS.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2011, 02:43:22 AM »
Maybe I don't read as much as I used to when I was a kid. Back then, it was the Goosebumps series, Superfudge, and the Wayside School series.

Now? Mainly I read wrestling autobiographies and Harry Potter. Yeah, that pretty much sums it up.

xiv

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2011, 07:32:43 AM »
Yeah I am a huge Michael Crichton fan.  I started with Jurassic Park and worked through most of his stuff.  I too am a fan of Sphere.  I've enjoyed everything I've read of his.  The last book of his I read was Timeline. 

Red River Jack

• X-REGISTERED
    • View Profile
    • IKindOfWantWrestling.Com
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2011, 08:45:46 AM »
Earth (The Book)
Want your Twitter feed clogged up? Follow: @BeardofMikeKnox

Tanya Black

• X-REGISTERED
  • I Steal Happiness
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2011, 09:55:48 AM »
Yeah I am a huge Michael Crichton fan.  I started with Jurassic Park and worked through most of his stuff.  I too am a fan of Sphere.  I've enjoyed everything I've read of his.  The last book of his I read was Timeline. 

Up to Timeline I had every book of his. I lost a few after moving a few times. I admit I haven't read what he wrote after Timeline.

Entragian

• Project: SCAR
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2011, 01:04:15 PM »
Maybe I don't read as much as I used to when I was a kid. Back then, it was the Goosebumps series, Superfudge, and the Wayside School series.

Now? Mainly I read wrestling autobiographies and Harry Potter. Yeah, that pretty much sums it up.

Goosebumps! I loved that series when I was younger too, that and Animorphs.

Jack Reed

• View Profile
    • Jack Reed / Max Pins / Mike Bovee webite. (yes, webite)
« Reply #15 on: July 22, 2011, 05:57:44 PM »
Sphere was amazing. Did read that when I was young and loved it. Great Gatsby was awesome too.

Currently Reading:

'Survivor' by Chuck P.
'A Brief History of Everything' by Bill B.

All Time Favs (in no order):

Watchers
Counte of Monte Cristo
Angels and Demons
The Langoliers (short story)
Sphere
War of the Worlds
Contest
"Love is but the discovery of ourselves in others, and the delight in the recognition." - Alexander Smith

GregAllocca

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 23, 2011, 10:01:27 AM »
Currently, I'm reading Brandon Sanderson's "Mistborn" trilogy.

I read too many book series, to list one specific book, but some of my favorite authors...
Glen Cook (particularly The Black Company Series)
George RR Martin(particularly Game of Thrones)
Clive Barker(particularly Hellbound Heart, Cabal, and The Books of the Art)
HP Lovecraft(EVERYTHING)
Michael Moorcock(Mainly, The Eternal Champion books especially Elric)
Neil Gaiman(particularly American Gods)

I mainly read fantasy and horror, but I'm trying to branch out more by reading the classics, and more non-fiction.

Turner

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 24, 2011, 08:15:15 PM »
What are you currently reading?

"Dance with Dragons" by George R.R. Martin

The new A Song of Ice and Fire book... and It's AWESOME!!!! Only have 4 chapters left... Gonna be sad when it's done.

What's on your agenda after that?

"Wizard's First Rule" by Terry Goodkind

Top 5 favorite books of all time? 

5. "Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire" by J.K. Rowling
4. "Game of Thrones" by George R.R. Martin
3.  "Laughter in the Dark" by Vladimir Nabokov
2. "A Storm of Swords" by George R. R. Martin
1. "Brave New World" by Aldus Huxley

xiv

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 01, 2011, 07:57:04 PM »
Finished World War Z.   Highly recommend this.  Makes me really look forward to the movie, even though I fear it won't live up to the book.   Still.  Very awesome.

Laura Seton

• X-REGISTERED
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 01, 2011, 11:29:35 PM »
Currently:

"ESPN: Those Guys Have All the Fun" by James Andrew Miller and Tom Shales

On the docket:

"American Conspiracies" by Jesse Ventura
"63 Documents the Government Doesn't Want You To Read" by Ventura
"Death to the BCS" by Dan Wetzel, Josh Peter and Jeff Passan

I don't really have 5 favorite books.  I'd have to go back to my middle-school days to when I last read a traditional "story telling" book.  Books with random trivia have been my main read ever since.

TheLegacy

• SHOOT Project Soldiers
    • View Profile
    • GuysNation
« Reply #20 on: August 02, 2011, 09:26:37 AM »
I've moved on to the second book in the GIRL WITH THE DRAGON TATTOO series.

I believe it's called THE GIRL WHO PLAYED WITH FIRE. I'm 100+ pages into the book and I can't even recall the proper title with 100% assurance.

smh @ myself

"Belote is now the new quote champion of the AJAX"
Post Whore Goal:
**Completed Goals**
2,222 before 1/1/2012
2,888 before 2/14/2012
4,500 before 12/25/2012
4554 before 1/1/2013
**New Goals**
4664 before 1/1/2013

DrezzyF2T

• SHOOT Project Soldiers
  • Life. Deal. Rock.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 02, 2011, 10:01:49 AM »
I just finished the third of Jonathan Maberry's Joe Ledger novels, The King of Plagues. It touches upon elements introduced in the first one, Patient Zero, and open questions from the second, The Dragon Factory. These books are awesome. They're pretty thick, so it's not like it's just a "pick up and breeze through at the store" ordeal, but the way Maberry writes makes you want to continue going on until you reach the end.

It's fluff, some pretty cool action/sci-fi/horror/adventure fare, but it's good fluff. The Joe Ledger character understands what he is, questions whether he chose to be the way he is or if he was destined for it, and the reveal of the timeline towards the end of The King of Plagues puts everything done into perspective (SPOILER ALERT: it all takes place between late June and late December of the same year).

Basically? Joe Ledger is an agent for the covert black ops government agency known as the DMS (Department of Military Sciences). He's introduced to this after terrorists have crafted a weaponized virus that creates fucking ZOMBIES (Patient Zero), he's gone after neo-Nazi geneticists who look to both purify the gene pool and create the perfect super soldiers via splicing (Dragon Factory), and has now come face-to-face with a worldwide network of conspirators who craft terror plots strictly for profit (King of Plagues). It's like if Jack Bauer was a bit more of a smartass and that much more dangerous hand-to-hand, and most of the side characters are written in such a way that you actually give a fuck about them.

*"Behind the Scenes" graphic by Sam Valentine
*Corey Lazarus banner by Ben Duke

J

• Supreme Commander
  • The Brass
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 02, 2011, 10:05:18 AM »
I picked up Patient Zero the same time I picked up The Strain.  I haven't read Zero yet, but I'll be adding it to my list after that review.

DrezzyF2T

• SHOOT Project Soldiers
  • Life. Deal. Rock.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 02, 2011, 01:02:07 PM »
It's well worth the read. I'd say it's my favorite of the Ledger series thus far, mostly due to how fresh it all is, but there's parts in both The Dragon Factory and The King of Plagues that put Patient Zero to shame.

Be forewarned, though: if you really like Patient Zero, The Dragon Factory is much more dense with the science talk, to the point where I had to put down the book for a few days just to spare myself the biology lecture. It's one of Maberry's faults: he studies the science behind his ideas so intently that he feels the need to drone on and on about it so that the reader, also, becomes well informed on the subject.

*"Behind the Scenes" graphic by Sam Valentine
*Corey Lazarus banner by Ben Duke

Red River Jack

• X-REGISTERED
    • View Profile
    • IKindOfWantWrestling.Com
« Reply #24 on: December 01, 2011, 01:34:12 PM »
Recently I've read:

"Zombie Spaceship Wasteland: A Book by Patton Oswalt" by Patton Oswalt - There were some amusing stories in there, especially the one about when he did a road gig in Canada and his time working in a movie theater, but overall it was rather random. I paid $5 for the hardcover, I wouldn't pay any more than that, hardcover or paperback if it gets released in that format.

"Fury: Peacemaker" by Garth Ennis, art by Darick Robertson - This is a graphic novel about Nick Fury. Absolutely terrible dialogue, especially for the British soldiers. Art was pretty standard for modern comics. The story itself was okay but not amazing. It tells of how Fury lost his eye (as a minor but memorable part of the story). I don't know if this holds up as canon though. I've never read Sgt. Fury and His Howling Commandos or Nick Fury Agent of SHIELD so I don't know if those books hold up any better. Ennis wrote another graphic novel called Fury for the Marvel MAX imprint which I'll read soon, but I'm skeptical if it'll be any better since I've heard Peacemaker was the better of the two.

"Garfield Minus Garfield" by Dan Walsh and Jim Davis - If you've seen the website/webcomic you probably don't need this book. I got it for free. I wouldn't recommend paying more than a few bucks for it. Overall, the concept of exposing Jon Arbuckle as being lonely, desperate, and fitting the profile of many psychological disorders is amusing at times when it appears he's all alone in his apartment. But really when you look at the strips with Garfield, you see that you don't really need to remove Garfield to get that effect, especially since Garfield isn't always the antagonist of the strip, and Garfield never actually speak back to Jon - it's all thought bubbles. So Jon is just as crazy with or without Garfield 9/10 times.

"Cyanide and Happiness" by Kris Wilson, Matt Melvin, Rob Denbleyker, and Dave McElfatric - If you've never seen the web comic, here you go: http://www.explosm.net/comics .  It's fucking amazing. I got this book for free but I would have paid for it. It reprints many of the web comics but also includes 30 strips that are exclusive to the book (I assume they still are). The book doesn't disappoint and I look forward to reading the sequel "Ice Cream & Sadness: More Comics from Cyanide & Happiness" very soon.

Books I plan on reading very soon:
Ice Cream & Sadness
Fury MAX
War Horse
Drive
Batman: Noel
Batman: Arkham City
Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter
Want your Twitter feed clogged up? Follow: @BeardofMikeKnox