November 24, 2017, 06:11:34 PM

Author Topic: Let's talk about books.  (Read 10923 times)

Turner

• View Profile
Re: Let's talk about books.
« Reply #25 on: December 01, 2011, 03:53:42 PM »
reading The Stone of Tears (book 2 in the sword of truth series.... next up is hunger games...

J

• Supreme Commander
  • The Brass
    • View Profile
    • http://www.shootproject.com/
« Reply #26 on: December 01, 2011, 05:23:41 PM »
I read Shaq: Uncut recently.

Fun autobiography.  Short, too.  No complaints.

B

• Bend the Knee
  • The Brass
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 01, 2011, 07:25:19 PM »
Was it done in crayon?

J

• Supreme Commander
  • The Brass
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 01, 2011, 09:00:13 PM »
Jackie MacMullan did the majority of the editing and whatnot, so it actually read pretty well.

Tanya Black

• X-REGISTERED
  • I Steal Happiness
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 02, 2011, 09:35:59 AM »
Besides my ongoing manga/comics stuff I have been reading Dracula and next on my list is Sir Apropos of Nothing.

xiv

• B once fired a guy for me.
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: December 02, 2011, 09:54:15 AM »
Im readin "the game from where i stand". A book about being in baseball by doug glanville

Entragian

• Project: SCAR
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 02, 2011, 11:25:58 AM »
Just finished "The Last Werewolf" by Glen Duncan.

Good shit!

Red River Jack

• X-REGISTERED
    • View Profile
    • IKindOfWantWrestling.Com
« Reply #32 on: December 03, 2011, 01:03:26 AM »
"Fury MAX" by Garth Ennis, art by Darick Robertson and Jimmy Palmiotti - Story wise, its not a whole lot different than the previously mentioned "Fury: Peacemaker." It's almost a logical sequel, but technically it occurs in a different universe than the other book. This one just shows more gore and has swearing every other word bubble. I can see why George Clooney refused to play Nick Fury after reading this book, which is too bad. Someone should have put Peacemaker in his hand, or given him "Howling Commandos" or "Agent of SHIELD." For someone who has critically acclaimed runs on Punisher and Punisher MAX, Ennis didn't bring a whole lot to the table for the two Fury books he wrote. You're not missing anything by not reading these. I assume "Howling Commandos," "Agent of SHIELD," "Secret Warriors," "SHIELD," or some of the Ultimate universe books would be better exposure to Fury than Ennis' work. The book also has the covers of the single issues which I believe were done by Bill Sienkiewicz, who I know mostly from doing Elektra art for Frank Miller. The cover art is pretty cool, but has little to do with the regular artwork and doesn't convey a whole lot about the story.
Want your Twitter feed clogged up? Follow: @BeardofMikeKnox

The Gunslingers

• X-REGISTERED
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 03, 2011, 01:08:53 AM »
I'm ready a pretty awesome book about the hsitory of heels in wrestling it has mini-biographys on the biggest heels in th ebusiness it was written on 2007 and has wrestlers from the early 40-s through the modern era.I'm about 100 pages in on the 500 pag ebook.

Red River Jack

• X-REGISTERED
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 03, 2011, 10:54:13 PM »
"Ice Cream and Sadness" by Kris Wilson, Matt Melvin, Rob Denbleyker, and Dave McElfatric - Just as hilarious as the first one. My favorite strips actually appear on page 11 and page 118 of this book. Again, it has 30 exclusive comic strips which don't disappoint, plus some extra material after that. Yeah, you could go through the website and read the 250ish pages of strips they've published in this book and the first, but I think its such a good series that I'd highly recommend having the books too. At the very least, it's good for a quick laugh, makes for easy bathroom reading if that's your thing, or it would make a good coffee-table book in a way when you have guests over.

"War Horse" by Michael Morpurgo - This is the children's book that the upcoming movie of the same title directed by Steven Spielberg, opening on Christmas Day. I believe it is also a play in England that eventually came to Broadway as well, but I don't know how closely the play follows the book or how the play resembles the upcoming movie. The movie looks like its going to be an absolute classic. Additionally, I have a soft spot for animals, so I wanted to know how bad this horse was going to get it before I actually sat down to see the movie. The book is very easy reading for adults, but it tells a very interesting and touching story from a unique perspective. Should you read it before you see the movie? It's probably not necessary since I imagine Spielberg and whoever wrote the screen adaptation won't be changing much. Given its length and the reading level it was designed for, it wouldn't take you more than a few hour and it wouldn't be a waste of time to read it. As I said, I read it because I basically wanted spoilers for the movie. But I would recommend getting it for any kids you know that are in the reading age and skill level for such a book. It's 167 pages long, and Scholastic puts it in the grade 6 to 8 reading level. So its definitely recommended for kids and its not a waste or an insult to adults who happen to read it too.

Up next on my reading list:
Drive
Batman: Noel
Batman: Arkham City
Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter
True Grit

Red River Jack

• X-REGISTERED
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 07, 2011, 04:32:27 PM »
Up next:

"Drive" by James Sallis - Whether you read a novel then see the movie, or the other way around, one usually won't be as good as the other and often, enough changes will have occurred to keep them as really separate works. That's pretty much the case here. The book, or novella really, is an easy page turner, which other reviewers have called "noir" or "pulp" in the crime genre. Sallis presents it in non-linear format and in very short chapters. I felt all the jumping around sometimes caused you to lose sight about why Driver was doing what he was doing. The movie, however, is very linear. Much like comic books, whoever wrote the screen adaptation for the big screen really cleaned up the story for the big screen and I felt he gave the characters in the film better exposure and purpose than the secondary characters got in the book. However, the story of the Driver who goes from stunt man to almost in over his head as a criminal is still the same at its core in both this book and the movie. The book was a decent read, but I have to say that I like the story that was presented in the movie better than the book. If you haven't seen the movie yet, and you're looking for a quick read over a day or two, then I'd suggest picking this novella up if you can find it for a few bucks. If you've seen the movie already, I don't think the book will grab you the way it was probably intended to. But again, its a quick read and its written interestingly, so it won't be a waste of your time should you feel like checking it out even if you've already seen the movie.

Up next:
True Grit

TheLegacy

• SHOOT Project Soldiers
    • View Profile
    • GuysNation
« Reply #36 on: December 08, 2011, 11:50:43 AM »
Up next:

"Drive" by James Sallis ... If you haven't seen the movie yet, and you're looking for a quick read over a day or two, then I'd suggest picking this novella up if you can find it for a few bucks. If you've seen the movie already, I don't think the book will grab you the way it was probably intended to. But again, its a quick read and its written interestingly, so it won't be a waste of your time should you feel like checking it out even if you've already seen the movie.

Up next:

Great advice on DRIVE.  I'll get that from the library ASAP

I didn't realize they did a book for Arkham City, but it's now officially on my Christmas list.

Read the basic premise for Noel. Could be interesting. Let me know how it is.

"Belote is now the new quote champion of the AJAX"
Post Whore Goal:
**Completed Goals**
2,222 before 1/1/2012
2,888 before 2/14/2012
4,500 before 12/25/2012
4554 before 1/1/2013
**New Goals**
4664 before 1/1/2013

Red River Jack

• X-REGISTERED
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 10, 2011, 12:50:58 AM »
"Batman: Arkham City" by Paul Dini, art by Carlos D'Anda - As the dust jacket says, this is the lead-in to the highly anticipated video game. I haven't played Batman: Arkham Asylum though I got the GOTY edition off Steam not too long ago. I also have not purchased or played the "Batman: Arkham City" game. From what I can gather from this book, the first game involved some kind of Titan formula that both Joker and Bane used. That aside, the stories here don't seem to touch much on the first game, other than the fact that the man behind Arkham City, Hugo Strange, uses the problem of the outbreak at Arkham Asylum as the decoy reasoning to justify Arkham City's existence. The main story here seems like it sets up the Arkham City game just fine. Again, not having played Arkham City, I don't know how necessary this story was or if it actually adds anything to the understanding of that game's story. As a stand alone Batman tale, its decent. As it should be. because Paul Dini has written a ton of Batman, and worked on both these games and The Animated Series. It appears to have existed in four or five issues, or if this wasn't released in floppy form, call them chapters. The last issue or chapter is a huge "phone it in" of huge full page splashes as there isn't much story left to tell before you should jump into the game for the rest of the story. That said, the art here by D'Anda is pretty solid and definitely up to contemporary standards. The main story takes up half of this book. The second half consists of printed versions of "Digital Chapters" which are short 8 page stories that I assume were first published on the web. Each story is someone else's perspective basically - that of a Tyger Guard, The Carpenter, The Riddler, Robin, and Bane. These stories and characters aren't touched on much at all in the main Arkham City comic story, so these Digital Chapters are a welcomed edition. How much insight they provide for the characters as it relates to enhancing the game's story, again, I can't tell you. Finally, the book concludes with concept art for the video game by Carlos D'Anda and Brandon Badeaux. The concept art mostly features characters not really profiled in these comic stories, so it feels like fresh material. That being said, I didn't care for any of the concept art except for The Joker's. I hope the final in-game character art turned out much different. As a final note, the hardcover book has some cool artwork on the hardcover itself, underneath the dust jacket. In closing, I think fans of the video games will enjoy this book. It's not anything groundbreaking but its a solid Bat-tale. I paid about $10 for the hardcover version of this book, and I wouldn't recommend paying more than that. Otherwise, wait for the trade paperback version (I'm assuming there will be one eventually, because of the game's popularity) but still, don't pay more than $10 for this material, if you pay for it at all (aka check your libraries).

Up next:
True Grit

Red River Jack

• X-REGISTERED
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 10, 2011, 02:18:36 AM »
"Batman: Noel" with story and illustration by Lee Bermejo, colors by Barbara Ciardo - For those of you who haven't heard, this graphic novel is an adaptation of Charles Dickens' "A Christmas Carol." Bermejo incorporates this classic tale into a Batman story in an interesting way. I'm not going to go into the details of the plot here because that would essentially spoil what it is to read this story with an open mind. This story was apparently Bermejo's first writing gig. He did a pretty decent job. I personally think a more seasoned Batman writer could have made this adaptation a masterpiece. What Bermejo leaves us with is good though, story wise. What is really awesome here is the artwork, which Bermejo drew as well. There are some really stunning scenes in here. He also uses unique panel layout which makes it a more interesting read than the standard comic panel layout. What caps off the illustration is Ciardo's colors. They're just as stunning as the illustrations. I've said before that colorists don't get enough credit, and Ciardo certainly deserves a ton of credit here. As a bonus, the book includes some sketches and preliminary page layouts with commentary by Bermejo, which makes you respect the final product even more. If you think you'll enjoy Batman plus A Christmas Carol, then definitely pick this up. If you're looking for more of an original Batman story rather than an adaptation of A Christmas Carol, then this might not be for you, although the artwork is great. Batman has a long list of heralded original graphic novels and collected editions, and while this won't top the list, I think it will certainly stand the test of time as a Batman graphic novel worth hunting down. I should note that "A Christmas Carol" has been combined with Batman before, in the Loeb authored Batman: Haunted Knight story "Ghosts" (which took place on Halloween Eve). But I think Bermejo's take on it is different enough that it's worth checking out on its own.

Up next:
True Grit

Red River Jack

• X-REGISTERED
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 12, 2011, 02:40:31 AM »
"True Grit" by Charles Portis - This is a 1968 book that became the 1969 Western classic that won John Wayne his only Oscar for his portrayal of Rooster Cogburn, the role played by Jeff Bridges in the Cohen Brothers 2010 remake. For the most part, the two movies must have been easy screen adaptations because it feels like the dialogue and such is lifted straight from the pages Portis penned himself. Having seen both movies first, reading a lot of this book for the first time felt like it wasn't actually my first time. There are some differences between the book and the movies and even between the movies themselves. Some changes are big, others are small, and I think the Coens even added things not in the book. There was one big chunk of the book I can't recall seeing either film, but its easily glossed over and wasn't essential to the films. I thoroughly enjoyed both movies, and because those films were pretty true the book I enjoyed the book just as much as either film. The book's length is a bit more substantial than the past two books-to-film that I've read recently (War Horse and Drive), but I was tearing through this book just as fast if not faster than those. You won't want to put it down once you start reading it. If you enjoyed either movie, you will definitely enjoy the book as well and I highly recommend all three pieces of work.

Up next:
Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter (which I believe is also being turned into a film, making this my fourth movie related book of late)

TheLegacy

• SHOOT Project Soldiers
    • View Profile
    • GuysNation
« Reply #40 on: December 12, 2011, 12:50:28 PM »
any interest in having those reviews go up on GN?

"Belote is now the new quote champion of the AJAX"
Post Whore Goal:
**Completed Goals**
2,222 before 1/1/2012
2,888 before 2/14/2012
4,500 before 12/25/2012
4554 before 1/1/2013
**New Goals**
4664 before 1/1/2013

Red River Jack

• X-REGISTERED
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 12, 2011, 12:54:25 PM »
Perhaps. I'd want to clean them up slightly first. I'll let you know after I finish this next book.

Red River Jack

• X-REGISTERED
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 14, 2011, 09:52:14 PM »
"Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter" by Seth Grahame-Smith - If you're interested in historical fiction that goes beyond the realm of "didn't happen" and extends to "horror" or "sci-fi" (or whatever genre you want to call vampires), then this may be a book for you. It's written by the guy who re-wrote Pride and Prejudice to include zombies: a book I haven't read. I also haven't read many if any other novels similar to this. No World War Z or other zombie or vampire tales that would match this sort of contemporary writing. So with nothing much to compare it to, I'll say the book is entertaining enough, though its not like a "non-stop" thriller. Its presented more on the side of a history book than a horror novel. I'm ashamed to say that I don't know my Abraham Lincoln history very well, but from what I can discern from other reviews and commentaries, the author did a good job of incorporating real history into the book, then of course changing it up to be about vampires. The writing is solid, so if you think you'd like to read about Honest Abe hunting vampires, go for it. If that idea doesn't appeal to you, then you'll probably want to pass this one up.

Up next:
Some magazines and video games. Sorry, books.

Red River Jack

• X-REGISTERED
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 12, 2012, 11:11:01 PM »
"Iron Man Noir" by Scott Snyder, art by Manuel Garcia - The Marvel "Noir" series is several "what ifs" or "elseworlds" or period pieces that take Marvel characters and put them somewhere between 1900 and 1940 it seems. Iron Man Noir puts Tony Stark in the late 1930s. Noir is often defined along the lines of "crime fiction featuring hard-boiled cynical characters and bleak sleazy settings." Pulp magazines are better known as having "lurid and exploitative stories and sensational cover art" from the 1900s to 1950s. "Iron Man Noir" is pulp, not noir. Another reviewer described it as "Indiana Stark" as these could just be un-used Indiana Jones plots. But that's not to take anything away from the story, which is a pretty fun adventure read. There are a lot of fun "easter eggs" if you know your Marvel characters and see how they are incorporated in unconventional ways in this story. The art by Manuel Garcia is also pretty good and stylistically really matches the time period. I paid under $5 for a hardcover copy of the book and it was totally worth it.

"Punisher Noir" by Frank Tieri, art by Paul Azaceta - Now this is actually a noir style story, but that shouldn't be surprising given the titular character. Given the fact that Punisher is generally written along the lines of noir, a lot of the story is pretty typical of Punisher plot lines. However, Tieri throws in a couple of pretty interesting twists to the standard Punisher-killing-plot which takes place in the late 1920s to early 1930s. Unfortunately, the story takes an unnecessary gratuitous violence turn in the fourth chapter/issue that adds absolutely nothing to the story. So 3/4ths of the book is pretty fun, last 1/4th is just better when you can say its over. The art by Azaceta is pretty cool, especially the retro-Punisher look. There are a few confusing panels, but thats not Azaceta's fault since he gets his panel by panel instructions from Tieri. Again, I paid under $5 for this book and I'd say it was worth that much for the value derived.

Red River Jack

• X-REGISTERED
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 14, 2012, 03:46:26 PM »
"Punisher: Franken-Castle" by Rick Remender, art by various artists - As you may have guessed by the title of this collection, this is the story of how Frank Castle, the Punisher, becomes "Franken-Castle." Fans online either loved this book or hated it. Those that hated it were usually firmly married to Garth Ennis' vision of the Punisher from the famous 616 series and also from the MAX title, even if that continuity doesn't carry over into the 616 universe. I'm not so married to that vision, especially in the 616 universe which has everything from space aliens to alternate dimensions to monsters on Earth. While I have not yet read the issues by Remender that led up to the Franken-Castle series, this story in and of itself was pretty amusing. There was plenty of violence if you like that kind of stuff from your Punisher stories - most if it involved monsters, Japanese monster hunters, and Daken. The art was pretty decent all the way through. Some panels could have used some more work. I really dug the art style in the last issue as it gave a 70s/80s action monster B-movie feel to the story. Over all the collection was another fun read and if the idea of Punisher + monsters intrigues you at all, check it out. This series collected Dark Reign: The List - Punisher; Punisher vol. 7, #11-16; Franken-Castle #17-21; Dark Wolverine #88-89. The preceding 10 issues plus the Annual plus Punisher: In The Blood #1-5 will be collected with all of these issues in a Rick Remender Punisher Omnibus, coming out in June of this year I believe.

B

• Bend the Knee
  • The Brass
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: January 14, 2012, 09:22:46 PM »
Reading "Team of Rivals" right now.  Completely awesome.

CadreCross

• We all have our Cross to bear ...
  • X-REGISTERED
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 15, 2012, 05:44:35 AM »
Just finished Book 1 of the Bridei Chronicles, The Dark Mirror. Dreadful. Tries to meld historical fiction and fantasy, mostly by jamming all the fantasy clich├ęs into a flowery history-romance. Avoid at all costs.

B: It's possible I have a small man crush on you.  Just wanted to get that out there.
Nicolle: I like you, so I will do things for you.
It's nice to be wanted.

Red River Jack

• X-REGISTERED
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 15, 2012, 12:38:28 PM »
Reading "Team of Rivals" right now.  Completely awesome.

The Lincoln book? That's the one that got lots of hype thanks to Obama, right? I heard it had quite a few incorrect facts. Do you know enough about the subject matter to say whether that's true or not? Or was the right-wing spin?

J

• Supreme Commander
  • The Brass
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 16, 2012, 08:09:01 AM »
Started reading the Steve Jobs biography.  Only a few pages into it, though. 

I'll probably check out Team of Rivals after that, or The God Delusion.  Haven't decided which direction I really wanna go there, haha.

xiv

• B once fired a guy for me.
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 16, 2012, 10:54:14 AM »
The God Delusion. 

Is that what it sounds like?  aka... what's the premise?  Cuz its a helluva an attention grabbing title.