July 22, 2018, 06:29:33 AM

Author Topic: Mass Effect 3 Changing Ending (Don't Mess With Angry Gamers)  (Read 206 times)

Mason Pierce

• X-REGISTERED
  • Orion Rules.
    • View Profile
Mass Effect 3 Changing Ending (Don't Mess With Angry Gamers)
« on: March 22, 2012, 03:14:49 PM »
Never underestimate the power of an outraged fan base.

Bowing to pressure from a loud segment of players, Bioware has announced that changes are in the works for the controversial ending to role-playing smash Mass Effect 3. Details about those plans will be revealed next month.

In a post on the company's blog, Bioware co-founder Dr. Ray Muzyka said the criticisms were "incredibly painful" to the team, which had hoped to please fans with the game.

"The passionate reaction of some of our most loyal players to the current endings in Mass Effect 3 is something that has genuinely surprised us," he wrote. "This is an issue we care about deeply, and we will respond to it in a fair and timely way. … Exec Producer Casey Hudson and the team are hard at work on a number of game content initiatives that will help answer the questions, providing more clarity for those seeking further closure to their journey."

The players who weren't happy with the ending of the game have been quite effective in voicing their displeasure. A 'Retake Mass Effect 3' Facebook page has amassed over 50,000 supporters, and an associated Twitter account has over 5,000 followers.

One player even complained to the Federal Trade Commission, saying the endings amounted to false advertising on Bioware and EA's part.

While Muzyka addressed the criticisms directly, he did note that the larger reaction to the game has been positive. The changes, he said, won't come at the artistic expense of the game. And he made it clear that the attacks that have accompanied the complaints will have to stop -- immediately.

"We're working hard to maintain the right balance between the artistic integrity of the original story while addressing the fan feedback we've received," he said "[However]. some of the criticism that has been delivered in the heat of passion by our most ardent fans, even if founded on valid principles, such as seeking more clarity to questions or looking for more closure, for example — has unfortunately become destructive rather than constructive. We listen and will respond to constructive criticism, but much as we will not tolerate individual attacks on our team members, we will not support or respond to destructive commentary."

Tanya Black

• X-REGISTERED
  • I Steal Happiness
    • View Profile

B

• Bend the Knee
  • The Brass
    • View Profile
Re: Mass Effect 3 Changing Ending (Don't Mess With Angry Gamers)
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2012, 04:23:56 PM »
It's terrible.  You know...the game might not have ended the way people might've wanted, but Jesus.

Entragian

• Project: SCAR
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2012, 05:25:59 PM »
That's pretty sad. I didn't love the ending to Silent Hill: Downpour, but I'm not gonna write my Congressman about it.

It's a fucking game, not a life-altering issue. Some gamers whine for the pure sake of whining...

Tanya Black

• X-REGISTERED
  • I Steal Happiness
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2012, 05:27:45 PM »
That's pretty sad. I didn't love the ending to Silent Hill: Downpour, but I'm not gonna write my Congressman about it.

It's a fucking game, not a life-altering issue. Some gamers whine for the pure sake of whining...

QFT

B

• Bend the Knee
  • The Brass
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2012, 06:23:18 PM »
You are exactly right.  If it was an ending you didn't like, let them know, sure.  But to go this overboard?  What the hell did Bioware do in the world to deserve fans with this much faggy fervor?

xiv

• B once fired a guy for me.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2012, 10:06:15 PM »
What exactly about the ending(s?) got people so panty wadded? 

Entragian

• Project: SCAR
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2012, 11:10:05 PM »
I'm actually really surprised that Bioware would even entertain the idea of changing the ending at all. It sets a terrible example, and I feel like it might start a trend in the gaming industry where any whiny, pretentious troll with a neck beard will now figure if they buy a game and they're not satisfied with how it ends they can just complain and complain until they force the company to change it.

Not a good look...

J

• Supreme Commander
  • The Brass
    • View Profile
    • http://www.shootproject.com/
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2012, 11:17:59 PM »
I think the thing is that they changed it at the last minute since the original ending got leaked or something (I don't really follow the series or BioWare,) and so the ending they gave was basically three choices for the same ending. 

People feel like they got ripped off, and the internet is a powerful tool when enough people materialize together.

I don't think this really sets a precedent at all.  Just because BioWare did it doesn't mean Valve will or whoever will, and they shouldn't, but BioWare doing this says that they agree that they rushed the game out and this is what they're trying to do to make amends.  In fact, this isn't the first time something like this has happened.  I've seen this same sort of thing with WoW and Starcraft in that they've made or attempted to make a big change, the userbase has been vehemently against it, they did a bunch of number crunching and beta testing, and then Blizzard essentially changed their minds and reverted the changes. 

It's not unheard of, just not something you see on a big level like this.

B

• Bend the Knee
  • The Brass
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2012, 12:57:10 AM »
There are several issues with the endings offered.  Integral parts of it use little to nothing of what you do in the game or previous games as they said it would.  Like Josh said, there are different endings, but essentially all are bad endings for you and the characters you've worked with for the last three games and that was always going to leave a bad taste in the mouth of gamers who had invested so much time into the series.  But, yeah, the endings themselves are so out of left field when compared to everything you've gone through leading up to it.

One thing I love/hate is how integral the end results apparently rely on a throwaway decision you make in a conversation with one of your crew mates in ME2, even if the actual ending is so random and seems to ignore this.

X-Calibur

• X-REGISTERED
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2012, 06:30:22 PM »
I didn't necessarily like the ending(s), but I wouldn't have minded if they simply left it be.  It certainly didn't ruin the overall experience for me and make me want to quit playing altogether like a lot of the crybabies I've seen bitching about it on IGN.     

Also, this definitely isn't the first time a huge mainstream developer has gone back and re-done the ending for a massive blockbuster game.  Fallout 3 is a prime example of this as Bethesda initially had the game end with the Vault Dweller dying at the conclusion of the main quest.  But because people were so outspoken about their displeasure in the ending, a "patch" was released a couple weeks after the launch and had the Vault Dweller survive, enabling players to continue playing after the main quest was finished like most Bethesda games before it.

So really, if any mainstream game developer is to blame for setting a dangerous precedent in watering down endings to appease fans , it isn't BioWare.  It's Bethesda.

Lucy Blaylock

• SHOOT Project Soldiers
  • Feel LOVELESS.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2012, 06:46:36 PM »
If they really wanna remake a game, remake any of the Super Mario games, where Bowser fucking wins. Bout time that dude got some Toadstool ass.

Red River Jack

• X-REGISTERED
    • View Profile
    • IKindOfWantWrestling.Com
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2012, 06:55:35 PM »
You don't think he's already raped the princess in captivity?
Want your Twitter feed clogged up? Follow: @BeardofMikeKnox

B

• Bend the Knee
  • The Brass
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2012, 11:51:22 PM »
Why else does she get kidnapped all the time?

It's like why it's obvious that Zelda is a fucking Ganon cock whore.

DrezzyF2T

• SHOOT Project Soldiers
  • Life. Deal. Rock.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2012, 06:18:46 AM »
The dangerous precedent this may set is the idea of test audiences for video games. Many films have already been fucked with (some even ruined, I Am Legend especially) due to test audiences not liking certain parts that worked within the story, but video games are a medium where the only test audience input is in the actual quality of gameplay.

However, considering it seems like the ME3 endings were rushed and not what was promised, this may not be such a bad thing.

*"Behind the Scenes" graphic by Sam Valentine
*Corey Lazarus banner by Ben Duke

xiv

• B once fired a guy for me.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2012, 09:57:12 AM »
From IGN:  Konami is releasing a patch for Contra. If you type in "the code" your character commits suicide.

DrezzyF2T

• SHOOT Project Soldiers
  • Life. Deal. Rock.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 29, 2012, 11:00:11 AM »
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

*"Behind the Scenes" graphic by Sam Valentine
*Corey Lazarus banner by Ben Duke

Mason Pierce

• X-REGISTERED
  • Orion Rules.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 29, 2012, 11:09:41 AM »
From IGN:  Konami is releasing a patch for Contra. If you type in "the code" your character commits suicide.

The code is: seppukurocks