September 19, 2019, 07:07:34 AM

Author Topic: Ask a misanthropic metalhead if you dare  (Read 2135 times)

DrezzyF2T

• SHOOT Project Soldiers
  • Life. Deal. Rock.
    • View Profile
Ask a misanthropic metalhead if you dare
« on: December 07, 2011, 11:49:23 AM »
Yeah, I feel like postwhoring it up and I'm jumping on the bandwagon. The big difference? I promise to use much more profanity, will likely delve deeper into certain topics, and will use italics. HOO-AH!

*"Behind the Scenes" graphic by Sam Valentine
*Corey Lazarus banner by Ben Duke

Eric Rohkar

• The Assistant Sheriff of Scottingham
  • SHOOT Project Soldiers
    • View Profile
    • wearefilth.com
Re: Ask a misanthropic metalhead if you dare
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2011, 11:58:37 AM »
What happened to punk music that it devolved into pop punk and emo?

Also, how do you feel about true Screamo bands like Circle Takes The Square?

Mason Pierce

• X-REGISTERED
  • Orion Rules.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2011, 12:14:12 PM »
What's your preferred genre of metal?

B

• Bend the Knee
  • The Brass
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2011, 12:16:34 PM »
Thoughts on grindcore as a whole?

DrezzyF2T

• SHOOT Project Soldiers
  • Life. Deal. Rock.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2011, 12:18:57 PM »
What happened to punk music that it devolved into pop punk and emo?
When you think about it? Punk has always been pop-punk. It was, musically, a "return to basics" as a means of combating the bombastic approach of late 60's and mid-70's rock n' roll, using the power chord as a means of playing above all else. Listening to the Ramones, widely considered the first true punk rock band, is an entirely different experience than listening to the hardcore punk bands that emerged not even a decade later. Punk is the attitude of rock n' roll music at its most base and primal, and deep down we all want a catchy melody.

As for the emo trend? Blame Bob Mould and the rest of Husker Du for daring to modify their hardcore punk sound with above-average songwriting techniques, and then further blame the pop punk acts of the mid-90's for taking the off-key approach to singing (a necessity at its origin due to most punk singers not being all that adept at actually singing) further than intended.
Also, how do you feel about true Screamo bands like Circle Takes The Square?
All screamo annoys me. Posicore is the only remotely screamo/emo/etc. off-SHOOT I can listen to, though I will admit to liking individual songs by bands like AFI (only "emo" due to Davey Havoc's inability to sing until recent years), Coheed & Cambria (unfairly lumped in with emo when they're more of a prog outfit, though the singer's voice is awful), and even My Chemical Romance ("Helena" being the only tune of theirs I can tolerate).

DrezzyF2T

• SHOOT Project Soldiers
  • Life. Deal. Rock.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2011, 12:23:40 PM »
What's your preferred genre of metal?
Overall? Death metal. It's the most diverse of all sub-genres of metal, and I'll use three acts as evidence: Suffocation, Dark Tranquility, and Vader. The only common ground they all share, besides the instruments used, is the use of blast beats as a base drumming pattern (common in all forms of extreme music once DRI innovated them on The Dirty Rotten LP) and growled lyrics. Suffocation focuses more on blazing technicality, crushing breakdowns, and awkwardly patterned songs. Dark Tranquility focuses on melody and harmony, and their vocalists have often blended mid-pitch growls and screams with almost operatic clean vocals (aside: you can thank Fear Factory's Burton C. Belle for the trend of growls and clean vocals, as their debut LP Soul of a New Machine is widely considered the first use of those two vocal styles within the same bad, let alone the same song). Vader is a more nihilistic take on Slayer, essentially, though they often lack the sardonic sneer and chaotic glee that Araya/King/Hanneman/Lombardo have always displayed.

All that said, though, I feel that I must point out that my favorite songs and albums are all by thrash metal acts. Slayer, Exodus, GWAR, 80's Metallica, S.O.D., Municipal Waste, Evile, Warbringer, Demolition Hammer, Send More Paramedics, Lazarus AD...mmmmmm...

DrezzyF2T

• SHOOT Project Soldiers
  • Life. Deal. Rock.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2011, 12:27:14 PM »
Thoughts on grindcore as a whole?
As any other style of music, there's awful, bad, average, good, and great. Its position as the true anti-pop has been modified over the years due to many grindcore acts moving on to death metal (fun fact: Carcass is widely considered one of the innovators of grindcore AND their album Heartwork is considered one of the earliest examples of melodic death metal) or pseudo-hardcore/screamo bands calling themselves grindcore in a faux sense of irony (Bring Me The Horizon, iwrestledabearonce, I'm looking in your direction).

For all that grindcore could be? Listen to Cephalic Carnage. They are possibly the single most varied grindcore outfit I've ever heard, dabbing in elements of sludge, blues, jazz (odd though it may seem, grindcore owes more to jazz outright than nearly any other form of music post-jazz), death metal, and classic punk rock.

Saint

• Root for the Bad Guy
  • X-REGISTERED
    • View Profile
    • eWScene
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2011, 01:18:40 PM »
Was Bad Brains as significant as the music historians place them as?

DrezzyF2T

• SHOOT Project Soldiers
  • Life. Deal. Rock.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2011, 02:50:17 PM »
Was Bad Brains as significant as the music historians place them as?
In terms of the hardcore scene? OH. FUCK. YES. For starters, the term "mosh" comes from them (it's believed that they meant to say "mash" in reference to what was then referred to as "slam dancing," but their accents made it sound as if they were saying "mosh" and that term stuck). Beyond that? They were pivotal members of the DC hardcore scene, which is only rivaled in importance and impact by the NY hardcore scene.

Considering much of the modern day music scene is directly influenced by bands birthed out of the hardcore scene (bands like the Pixies and Fugazi heavily influenced every "indie rock" act after them as well as being prime influences on the grunge scene, and they were initially referred to as "post-hardcore," specifically Fugazi as it was formed following Minor Threat's break-up), it's safe to say that Bad Brains are an important act. They're not as significant as, say, Black Sabbath or even the Misfits, but they're pretty fucking important.

Mason Pierce

• X-REGISTERED
  • Orion Rules.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2011, 02:52:03 PM »
Funny... I always thought "mosh" meant "move over, shithead."

xiv

• B once fired a guy for me.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2011, 04:05:40 PM »
What's the last concert you attended?

Eric Rohkar

• The Assistant Sheriff of Scottingham
  • SHOOT Project Soldiers
    • View Profile
    • wearefilth.com
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2011, 04:47:04 PM »
For reference, though my question was answered(and I feel completely adequately), Circle Takes The Square.

Circle takes the square Kill the switch

Also, new question:

Do you mosh? If so, are you old school slam dancing, do you do the punk/thrash thing with the arms high in the air and the knees raises, or do you even go so far as to hardcore dance?

DrezzyF2T

• SHOOT Project Soldiers
  • Life. Deal. Rock.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2011, 07:12:36 PM »
What's the last concert you attended?
Gwar on 10/21. I feel honored to have seen them the last time they were in Massachusetts with Cory "Flattus Maximus" Smoot still alive. It was also one hell of a show marred only by my having shared it with my ex-girlfriend (her first Gwar show) and having to see my ex-fiance with her current beaux. Fun fact: her current boyfriend said a lot about being in the pit all night and "knocking motherfuckers out," yet I was in the pit all night and only saw him there twice.

xiv

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2011, 07:14:17 PM »
So what punk/hardcore bands tickle your fancy?

DrezzyF2T

• SHOOT Project Soldiers
  • Life. Deal. Rock.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2011, 07:14:49 PM »
Do you mosh? If so, are you old school slam dancing, do you do the punk/thrash thing with the arms high in the air and the knees raises, or do you even go so far as to hardcore dance?
Depending on the show and whether or not I enjoy the band? Yes, I mosh. I suppose I do old school slam dancing judging by your description of the punk/thrash style: my arms are usually between shoulder-level or over my ribs, my head tucked down, and I tend to just shove and throw elbows into people's backs/chests. Hardcore dancing is retarded, proven more so when those who partake in it (fucking ninja kids) leave the floor the moment a true pit breaks out and/or when they get knocked silly by the inevitable angry giant.

DrezzyF2T

• SHOOT Project Soldiers
  • Life. Deal. Rock.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 07, 2011, 07:17:05 PM »
So what punk/hardcore bands tickle your fancy?
The Misfits, Toxic Narcotic, Black Flag, pre-"Tessie" DropKick Murphys (seriously, they're fucking awful now), classic Distillers, Biohazard, the Ramones, the Sex Pistols (it's become too popular to hate on them, but Nevermind the Bollocks... is actually a fucking great album), DRI (though I'll admit to preferring their crossover stuff), DBX, and Dead Kennedys are the big ones I listen to. I'm not as big into punk/hardcore as I am metal, but I can still dig it.

DrezzyF2T

• SHOOT Project Soldiers
  • Life. Deal. Rock.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 07, 2011, 07:18:47 PM »
Depending on the show and whether or not I enjoy the band? Yes, I mosh. I suppose I do old school slam dancing judging by your description of the punk/thrash style: my arms are usually between shoulder-level or over my ribs, my head tucked down, and I tend to just shove and throw elbows into people's backs/chests. Hardcore dancing is retarded, proven more so when those who partake in it (fucking ninja kids) leave the floor the moment a true pit breaks out and/or when they get knocked silly by the inevitable angry giant.
ADDENDUM: Circle pits are the best.

xiv

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 07, 2011, 07:21:34 PM »
Ever listen to Fucked Up? 

DrezzyF2T

• SHOOT Project Soldiers
  • Life. Deal. Rock.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 07, 2011, 09:19:21 PM »
Ever listen to Fucked Up? 
I seem to recall my friend Sarah (a girl I grew up with who lived down the street from me; she was big into punk, I was big into metal, and we had quite a few crossover tastes musically) telling me about them at some point, but I could be mistaken.

Upon listening to their song "The Other Shoe"...meh. Decent sound, the music's solid, but the hardcore vocals over the pretty tame and soothing indie-ish rock doesn't do much for me.

Also, I forgot to mention the Murder City Devils and Shai Hulud and Zombie Apocalypse to my list of preferred punk/hardcore acts.

DrezzyF2T

• SHOOT Project Soldiers
  • Life. Deal. Rock.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 14, 2011, 09:49:08 AM »
I do take questions on more than music, for the record.

xiv

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 14, 2011, 10:41:51 AM »
no!   You put "metal head" in the thread title, so  how are we supposed to ask you non-music questions?

DrezzyF2T

• SHOOT Project Soldiers
  • Life. Deal. Rock.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 14, 2011, 12:52:12 PM »
You put "metal head" in the thread title, so  how are we supposed to ask you non-music questions?
A metalhead is one who, above all else, identifies themselves via their appreciation and devotion to heavy metal music in any or all of its forms. It's been the one constant I've had in my life over the last 15 years, thus I have no issue identifying myself, first and foremost, as a metalhead. This does not mean to restrict questions solely to musical preference.

Also, har-dee-har-har, you asked me a non-music question. PARADOX.

xiv

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 14, 2011, 01:19:03 PM »
well at least you "got it".   

What else would you like us to ask you?

DrezzyF2T

• SHOOT Project Soldiers
  • Life. Deal. Rock.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 14, 2011, 01:52:16 PM »
What else would you like us to ask you?
Anything at all. Personal questions, opinion questions, science questions, history questions, whatever. I'm bored and feel like conversing with somebody other than my co-workers.

xiv

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 14, 2011, 02:04:20 PM »
Where do you work, and what do you do?