August 22, 2017, 08:34:12 PM

Author Topic: Community  (Read 18502 times)

Eric Rohkar

• The Assistant Sheriff of Scottingham
  • SHOOT Project Soldiers
    • View Profile
    • wearefilth.com
Community
« on: February 01, 2012, 04:11:51 PM »
So, I've been watching Community lately, catching up.

You guys were right. This show is one of the best things that's been on TV in a long time.

DrezzyF2T

• SHOOT Project Soldiers
  • Life. Deal. Rock.
    • View Profile
Re: Community
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2012, 04:14:38 PM »
The more you watch it? The more fun it is to re-watch it. There's gags you miss, references you don't quite get, and running jokes that keep building throughout the series.

Plus?

Any show that combines these two gorgeous slices into one 30-minute block is great by default.

*"Behind the Scenes" graphic by Sam Valentine
*Corey Lazarus banner by Ben Duke

B

• Bend the Knee
  • The Brass
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2012, 04:22:00 PM »
It's seriously so so good.  I can't recommend it enough.

TheLegacy

• SHOOT Project Soldiers
    • View Profile
    • GuysNation
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2012, 04:45:43 PM »
I used to say that SCRUBS and COMMUNITY were both on my list of BEST SHOWS OF ALL TIME.

When rewatching episodes of COMMUNITY, my belief holds firm.

When rewatching episodes of SCRUBS, my love fades ever so slightly... though it's still near the top.

The Dark Knight / Beast Master Halloween episode was amazing. I won't delete it from my DVR.

"Belote is now the new quote champion of the AJAX"
Post Whore Goal:
**Completed Goals**
2,222 before 1/1/2012
2,888 before 2/14/2012
4,500 before 12/25/2012
4554 before 1/1/2013
**New Goals**
4664 before 1/1/2013

Eric Rohkar

• SHOOT Project Soldiers
    • View Profile
    • wearefilth.com
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2012, 05:14:00 PM »
I often have very naughty thoughts about Annie.

And Troy and Abed make that show so incredible. I am watching them in order, but I've skipped ahead for a couple of episodes. The Claymation Christmas and the DnD episode were so very good.

TheLegacy

• SHOOT Project Soldiers
    • View Profile
    • GuysNation
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2012, 05:16:13 PM »
I often have very naughty thoughts about Amy.

And Troy and Abed make that show so incredible. I am watching them in order, but I've skipped ahead for a couple of episodes. The Claymation Christmas and the DnD episode were so very good.

...you mean Annie?

You should check out a few episodes of Mad Men. There were a few times in there where she was all dolled up in 1960's attire...

I'll be back later.

Post Whore Goal:
**Completed Goals**
2,222 before 1/1/2012
2,888 before 2/14/2012
4,500 before 12/25/2012
4554 before 1/1/2013
**New Goals**
4664 before 1/1/2013

Eric Rohkar

• SHOOT Project Soldiers
    • View Profile
    • wearefilth.com
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2012, 05:18:08 PM »
Fixed. Don't know why I thought her name was Amy.

Whatever her name is, I want her inside me.

Red River Jack

• X-REGISTERED
    • View Profile
    • IKindOfWantWrestling.Com
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2012, 07:06:13 PM »
Scrubs gets annoying after a while, IMO. I could watch Community all day every day. The DVDs are worth getting for the commentary tracks, which they do for every episode (like The Simpsons DVDs).

The first Halloween episode, the 3 paintball episodes, and the Fat Neil DnD episodes might be my favorite episodes of anything.
Want your Twitter feed clogged up? Follow: @BeardofMikeKnox

xiv

• B once fired a guy for me.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2012, 07:30:40 PM »
Scrubs it depends on teh season, for me.  Early scrubs doesn't hold up for me.  Where I really like the last 2 seasons (I don't count the 1 season that didn't center around JD) - I think the JD's goodbye episode, the series finale, IMO was one of the better goodbyes for a sitcom. 

B

• Bend the Knee
  • The Brass
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2012, 09:36:28 PM »
My Finale is, seriously, the best ending for a sitcom in years.  YEARS.

But yeah, the Paintball episodes are amazing.  Season 2 overall is spectacular to me with the Pierce storyline running through it and I absolutely love the Halloween zombie episode.

xiv

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2012, 10:36:43 PM »
My Finale is, seriously, the best ending for a sitcom in years.  YEARS.

But yeah, the Paintball episodes are amazing.  Season 2 overall is spectacular to me with the Pierce storyline running through it and I absolutely love the Halloween zombie episode.

This and that!  Yeah I was failing on the name. I recently DVR'd My Finale so I could keep it.  Love that scene with "the future" playing on the sheet. 

The two part Paintball episode last season was so amazingly ridiculously awesome, and agreed the Zombie episode was great. 

I've also loved their Christmas Episodes.  The claymation Abed group therapy one last year was great, and this year with their shot at Glee.  So awesome.

This thread makes me really want this season to be back... like... NOW!  I've seen stuff on twitter that makes me think they're filming right now. 

Eric Rohkar

• SHOOT Project Soldiers
    • View Profile
    • wearefilth.com
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2012, 11:37:16 PM »
Donald Glover needs to become Adam Sandler famous. Just sayin'.

B

• Bend the Knee
  • The Brass
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2012, 02:16:58 AM »
MY WHOLE BRAIN IS CRYING

DrezzyF2T

• SHOOT Project Soldiers
  • Life. Deal. Rock.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2012, 06:37:08 AM »
This thread makes me really want this season to be back... like... NOW!  I've seen stuff on twitter that makes me think they're filming right now. 
They are. I think it's coming back late spring/early summer to wrap up Season 3. NBC bumps one show every season for the last few to introduce something new, and Community pulled the straw this year. Parks & Rec and 30 Rock have felt the same tingle before.

Community's cast is so perfect together. As in "amazing chemistry from the get-go" perfect.

TheLegacy

• SHOOT Project Soldiers
    • View Profile
    • GuysNation
« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2012, 09:02:28 AM »
They are. I think it's coming back late spring/early summer to wrap up Season 3. NBC bumps one show every season for the last few to introduce something new, and Community pulled the straw this year. Parks & Rec and 30 Rock have felt the same tingle before.

Community's cast is so perfect together. As in "amazing chemistry from the get-go" perfect.

also, I heard that they're interested in seeing how Community can do when it's not up against Big Bang Theory

Post Whore Goal:
**Completed Goals**
2,222 before 1/1/2012
2,888 before 2/14/2012
4,500 before 12/25/2012
4554 before 1/1/2013
**New Goals**
4664 before 1/1/2013

DrezzyF2T

• SHOOT Project Soldiers
  • Life. Deal. Rock.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2012, 11:56:55 AM »
It'd probably do fucking great given that its core audience is devoted. Big Bang Theory is just such a powerhouse that whoever decides the lineup for NBC Thursdays is deficient in the way of thought for putting a true nerd comedy (face it: Community actively references nerdy topics on a much more regular basis than BBT, it just so happens that the only truly nerdy character is Abed, who has Asperger's or some other mild form of autism) against one with standout "LOOK AT US" characters and the magnificent aura of Kaley Cuoco's approachable hotness.

B

• Bend the Knee
  • The Brass
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 02, 2012, 01:20:33 PM »
I hate Big Bang Theory.  However, Community's audience may be devoted, but they're also aware that Community's core audience watches it on DVD or Hulu or anytime that isn't Thursday at 8.  I've read way too many interviews with Dan Harmon where he's talking about how many fans just don't care to sit down at a TV to watch the show whenever NBC puts it on.

TheLegacy

• SHOOT Project Soldiers
    • View Profile
    • GuysNation
« Reply #17 on: February 02, 2012, 02:36:37 PM »
they're going to have to consider different ways of incorporating some product placement, then, because if people aren't watching it live, they're also not watching commercials - which is the primary reason for having ratings in the first place.

I've heard that typically if you rank shows based on their ratings, and then re-rank them when you incorporate DVR ratings (for the three or four days following the original air date) that the ranking doesn't change much for things.

I hope that's not the case in Community's case, but from what I recall, their ratings are REALLY low compared to a lot of other shows, and they'd almost have to triple* the amount of viewers to stay relevant when you incorporate DVR viewings.

* - triple might be a hyperbole... but it might not. can't recall.

Post Whore Goal:
**Completed Goals**
2,222 before 1/1/2012
2,888 before 2/14/2012
4,500 before 12/25/2012
4554 before 1/1/2013
**New Goals**
4664 before 1/1/2013

DrezzyF2T

• SHOOT Project Soldiers
  • Life. Deal. Rock.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 02, 2012, 02:43:41 PM »
They're not nearly as low as other shows even on the same channel, let alone some other networks, but they're not great, either. Part of the problem is the timeslot, part of the problem is the lack of advertising for the show, part of the problem is the fans usually catching it via Hulu/DVD/streams, and I'd actually theorize that a major part of the problem might be that the show goes over a lot of people's heads. Some of their references are overt and obvious (the Star Wars and Quentin Tarantino jokes, for starters), but a lot are more subtle or niche (including these ones from Season 2 alone).

xiv

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 02, 2012, 09:43:54 PM »
dude I'm loving reading this.  I tried to post about how amazing Advanced Dungeon and Dragons was as an episode.

Eric Rohkar

• SHOOT Project Soldiers
    • View Profile
    • wearefilth.com
« Reply #20 on: February 03, 2012, 09:08:45 PM »
This thread is pretty streets ahead.

DrezzyF2T

• SHOOT Project Soldiers
  • Life. Deal. Rock.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 06, 2012, 05:32:58 PM »

TheLegacy

• SHOOT Project Soldiers
    • View Profile
    • GuysNation
« Reply #22 on: February 06, 2012, 06:32:44 PM »
Streets Ahead scores huge, but not as big as the X-Men, and it's only partially because The Dean and Annie are BOTH Chun Li

And Pierce should probably be M.Bison

For extra credit,
Starburns could've been Guile
Jeff Winger could've been Vega or Ken
Dean as Cammy would've been entertaining, meaning Britta would've had to be Dhalsim

And what about the "Fat" character from the D&D episode? Why not give him special consideration as E.Honda?

Post Whore Goal:
**Completed Goals**
2,222 before 1/1/2012
2,888 before 2/14/2012
4,500 before 12/25/2012
4554 before 1/1/2013
**New Goals**
4664 before 1/1/2013

DrezzyF2T

• SHOOT Project Soldiers
  • Life. Deal. Rock.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 06, 2012, 07:44:58 PM »
Yes, but Abed as Ryu works because he's the most reserved of them all, and he needs his similar counterpart with a bit more of an ego, thus Ken. Winger works as Guile because he's clearly the one they all turn to as a leader (which, IIRC, SF canon has Guile as more often than not, at least as far as the heroes go), but Pierce as Bison? Nah. There's somebody much, much worse for Bison's "head baddie" role: the HVAC Dean, the role John Goodman plays in a battle for Troy's soul (which, I guess, makes the janitor into Ryu and Ken's sensei, or possibly even Chun Li's father).

Britta being Dhalsim, though...no. Britta needs to be wearing as little clothing as possible and not in a "diaper" sort of way. Yes to Fat Neil as Honda.

B

• Bend the Knee
  • The Brass
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 07, 2012, 12:07:17 AM »
I'm assuming this is the same guy who did the X-Men Community one.  It's...okay...but maybe I don't like it as much because the novelty wore off once it peaked with that one.